When Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. created this foundation in 1953, they were motivated by a set of values that still guide us today. With their vision of a just and caring society as our touchstone, the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund supports initiatives and organizations that advance and protect fundamental rights and opportunities for all.
Through our grantmaking, the Haas, Jr. Fund seeks to support organizations whose work is clearly aligned with our grantmaking priorities. The Fund’s focus is in five areas:
- We’re working to promote equal opportunities for immigrants to become fully engaged citizens.
- We’re fighting for equal marriage rights and other protections for gays and lesbians.
- We’re developing new partnerships to close achievement gaps so that children and young adults get the education they need to reach their full potential.
- We’re helping nonprofit leaders gain the skills, knowledge and understanding that will allow them to take their organizations to new heights of excellence and service.
- We’re supporting community partnerships and initiatives that create opportunities for people from all backgrounds to enjoy the diverse civic and cultural assets of the Bay Area.