The Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund seeks a new Communications Associate
The Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund works to advance equality and justice so every person can thrive and live life with dignity and hope. Rooted in the Bay Area, the Haas, Jr. Fund is guided by an enduring set of core values. These values reflect the founders’ vision and shape everything the Haas, Jr. Fund does.
- Inclusion: We celebrate the rich differences in human identity and embrace the perspectives of all people.
- Respect: We are guided by the wisdom and voices of people and communities working for change.
- Collaboration: We believe in the transformative power of working together to advance a shared vision.
- Courage: We take a stand to make a deep and lasting difference on urgent social issues.
About the Evelyn & Walter Haas, Jr. Fund
The Haas, Jr. Fund focuses on a cross-cutting set of issues confronting California and our Bay Area community. Among our priorities: building a fairer, more representative democracy in California; advancing more humane approaches to immigration and expanding opportunities for immigrant youth and families; achieving full equality for the LGBT community; and making higher education more affordable for lower-income California students. The Haas, Jr. Fund has a full-time staff of 20 professionals and assets of approximately $500 million. Located in downtown San Francisco, it has awarded over $650 million in grants since its founding in 1953.
The Haas, Jr. Fund aspires to build an organizational culture that is inclusive and that allows all of us to live and breathe our values and lean into the Fund’s core strengths. We believe deeply in our staff members, we take care of each other, and we work to develop our colleagues’ skills and help them grow. We collaborate to lift up good ideas and diverse perspectives while embracing innovative solutions. We work with passion and gratitude for the chance to make a positive impact and change people’s lives.
About the Communications Associate Position
The Haas, Jr. Fund is looking for a creative digital communications professional and storyteller who is passionate about growing, curating, and managing digital communications for an organization that partners closely with advocates on the ground, as well as funders on the state and national stage. The ideal candidate is adaptive, a problem solver, creative, social media savvy, and a strong project manager. They are passionate about finding bold, new ways to communicate on the pressing issues of our time and make a positive impact to advance equality and justice. They also have a knack for identifying, capturing and sharing stories that illuminate the issues and inspire change. The communications associate will have the opportunity to learn about pressing societal issues, innovative solutions, and work with staff and community partners dedicated to advancing justice and equality.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will report to the director of communications. The Communications Associate’s responsibilities include:
Manage Haas, Jr.’s digital platforms
- Lead social media strategy, calendar and content creation, execution, and reporting across all channels (Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn) in order to grow followers and deepen engagement with strategic partners
- Manage Haas, Jr.’s website. Review the website on an ongoing basis to identify areas for new content creation, changes and updates, and upload content edits directly
- Help ensure that content tells a powerful story about the work of the Fund and its partners while reflecting larger communications goals
- Create email blasts and quarterly newsletters, from design through final mailing, including defining core audiences, maintaining and updating editorial calendars, and creating distribution lists
- Monitor and track website, social media, and newsletter metrics and provide regular written updates on usage and growth
Support Haas, Jr.’s organizational goals through communications and staff and grantee partner collaboration
- Partner with the communications director and program team to create a robust content strategy and calendar that amplifies Haas Jr.’s mission, values, and work and lifts up the work of grantee partners
- Assist the communications director with internal communications to maintain an informed and connected staff team
- Develop communications project plans and monitor status
- Develop graphics and videos independently or in collaboration with consultants, to accompany digital content and represent Haas Jr. for external presentation
- Participate in internal culture development and diversity and inclusion efforts
Skills and Qualifications
- A commitment to Haas Jr.’s mission and values and the work of advancing equality and justice
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including ability to translate complex concepts into simple-to-understand language and stories for multiple audiences
- Extremely high level of organization and attention to detail, as well as the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- A flexible project manager and eager problem solver who is solutions-oriented and takes ownership of tasks through to completion
- Curious, enjoys learning, and takes on new challenges. Excels in right-brain vision and imagination as well as left-brain logic and execution
- Attuned to staff needs, and aspires to help build strong collegial partnerships across a diverse team, including awareness of the nuances of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, and orientation
- Compassion, empathy, a sense of humor, flexibility, and a dedication to high-quality work
- Technical fluency in:
- MS Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Social media management (Twitter, TweetDeck, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Email marketing platform (Campaign Monitor preferred)
- Photo editing and basic design skills
- Preferred, not required: Video editing skills, working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience in nonprofit communications or campaign work
- At least one year of work experience in nonprofit communications, advocacy communications, journalism, or a related field
- Stays current with digital communications trends, current events and community issues
Salary and Benefits
The Haas, Jr. Fund offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. The salary range is $75,000 – 85,000. This is a full-time position, which will initially be remote and will then transition to working in Haas Jr.’s offices in the San Francisco Financial District in the coming months. After the return to the offices, Haas, Jr. Staff will shift to a hybrid working arrangement (part remote, part office-based).
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to references) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line: Communications Associate. Please submit PDF files only (one combined PDF file is preferred). Applications will be accepted until filled.