The Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund seeks a new Communications Associate
Freelance, nine months, January – September 2021
About the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund
The Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund works to advance equality and justice so every person can thrive and live life with dignity and hope. Rooted in the Bay Area, the Haas, Jr. Fund is guided by an enduring set of core values. These values reflect the founders’ vision and shape everything the Haas, Jr. Fund does.
- Inclusion: We celebrate the rich differences in human identity and embrace the perspectives of all people.
- Respect: We are guided by the wisdom and voices of people and communities working for change.
- Collaboration: We believe in the transformative power of working together to advance a shared vision.
- Courage: We take a stand to make a deep and lasting difference on urgent social issues.
The Haas, Jr. Fund focuses on a set of issues we believe are at the core of advancing equality and opportunity in our home state of California and the broader society: Democracy, College Success, Immigrant Rights and LGBT Equality.
The Haas, Jr. Fund aspires to build a culture that is inclusive and that allows all of us to live and breathe our values and lean into the Fund’s core strengths. We believe deeply in our staff members, we take care of each other, and we work to develop our colleagues’ skills and help them grow. We collaborate to lift up good ideas and diverse perspectives, while embracing innovative solutions to the challenges at the core of our work.
The Haas, Jr. Fund has a full-time staff of about 20 professionals and assets of approximately $450 million. Located in downtown San Francisco, it has awarded over $624 million in grants since its founding in 1953. For more information, visit us online at haasjr.org.
About the Communications Associate Position
This is a unique opportunity for a freelance communications professional willing to work remotely and looking for a guaranteed nine-month position with a mission-focused organization. As communications associate, you will work closely with the Fund’s director of communications, its staff, and its nonprofit and movement partners to tap the power of strategic communications and creative storytelling to make positive change in the world.
The Haas, Jr. Fund has recently adopted a refreshed set of program priorities focused on advancing equality and justice for immigrants, people of color and LGBTcommunities. The communications associate will play a central role in sustaining and strengthening the Fund’s communications on these critical issues via the Fund’s website, social media, and other channels.
With the Fund’s communications department getting ready for a leadership change, the communications associate will serve as a bridge between the current director of communications and a new director to be hired in 2021. Working with the current director through Q1, you will gain a broad understanding of the Fund’s communications work. When the Fund hires a new director, you will remain in your position into the fall of 2021. This plan is to help ensure seamless execution of core communications functions throughout the transition and to ensure that the new director can hit the ground running with strong staff support.
The ideal candidate for this job will need two related skill sets: 1) practical knowledge and experience with a range of communications tools, including a CMS website and a variety of social media channels; and 2) strong writing skills to draft communications copy as needed, from tweets to feature articles. The position also requires the ability to work effectively under general supervision and exercise sound independent judgment in executing your assigned duties. Strong collaborative skills also are key; success in this position will require forming strong working partnerships with the Fund’s staff, grantee partners and consultants.
The Haas, Jr. Fund has developed a visual, story-driven website lifting up key developments, perspectives and insights on the issues at the heart of our work. Similarly, the Fund’s social media channels seek to educate and engage our core audiences on the issues while spotlighting the heroic work of our nonprofit and movement partners to advance positive change. As communications associate, you will:
- Maintain the Fund’s digital communications channels, including the Haas, Jr. Fund’s website and social media.
- Write and publish tweets, Facebook posts, and other social media content.
- Manage development and publication of the Fund’s e-newsletters, including content development, layouts, testing, distribution, and analytics.
- Oversee the Fund’s online digital asset management tools.
- Track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the Fund’s communications channels and report trends and findings.
Writing for External and Internal Audiences
The Haas, Jr. Fund is widely recognized as a leading voice in philanthropy on many of the issues we work on. In addition to sharing news and perspectives from our leadership and expert staff, we are committed to the values of transparency and accountability. We are regularly developing and disseminating content to capture lessons and stories from our work for internal (staff and board) and external audiences. As communications associate you will:
- Create and edit high-quality written content to advance the Fund’s work on our website, and via the Fund’s communications channels.
- Draft and edit externally focused written content for the Fund’s staff, including op-eds, blog posts, talking points for presentations, and more.
- Create and edit internally focused content, including docket materials for the Fund’s board and memos and emails for staff.
- Help track and keep current the latest language and styles used by the organization.
- Work closely with external writers, providing editorial direction and support as needed.
Communications Department Administrative Support
The Haas, Jr. Fund’s communications department manages and supports a wide range of activities aimed at ensuring that we are using communications as creatively and as strategically as possible to advance the goals and vision we share with our partners. As communications associate, you will be an essential player in keeping this work moving forward at a consistently high level of quality and impact. You will:
- Build and maintain editorial calendars guiding the Fund’s publication and dissemination of content via the website, social media and other channels.
- Support the director of communications through scheduling of internal and external meetings, tracking of external placements, maintenance of communications listservs and contacts, and management of invoicing and budgets, among other duties.
- Collaborate with key communications vendors and consultants and manage their contracts as needed for support in areas from writing and content development to video, social media and more.
- Participate substantively in meetings to advance communications planning and implementation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Success in the communications associate role will depend on a range of skills and abilities, as well as proficiency with key software and technology platforms. As a candidate for the position, you will need to demonstrate:
- Commitment to the Fund’s mission and values and the work of advancing equality and justice.
- The ability to professionally represent the Haas, Jr. Fund.
- Compassion, joy, a sense of humor, flexibility and a dedication to high-quality work.
- The ability to be an effective team member by partnering productively with colleagues and contributing to a healthy organizational culture.
- Knowledge of current events, particularly as they relate to the Fund’s work.
- Awareness of and respect for inclusion and equity.
- The ability write clearly, succinctly, analytically, and persuasively in a jargon-free and inspiring style.
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Experience managing social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Experience with media relations and website management.
- Familiarity and experience with the following applications (or similar)
- Drupal 9 platform
- Campaign Monitor
- G Suite and Google-related collaborations and productivity apps
- Salesforce or other centralized customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Google Analytics and Google AdWords o Hootsuite and/or other social media marketing platforms
- Adobe Creative Suite, primarily Photoshop
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Work experience in the nonprofit sector, journalism, public interest communications, or a related field.
- An interest in learning about the philanthropy field and the role of strategic communications in the social sector.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to email@example.com. Use the subject line: Communications Associate. Submit PDF files only (one combined PDF file is preferred). Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.