About the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund
Sixty-seven years ago, Evelyn and Walter A. Haas, Jr. started a family foundation as a way to give back to their community—the people of the San Francisco Bay Area. Today, their children and three of their grandchildren—Robert D. Haas, Betsy Haas Eisenhardt, Walter J. Haas, Elise K. Haas, Jesse Eisenhardt, and Walter A. Haas III— work with a diverse and committed staff team to carry on the founders’ legacy. The Fund’s mission is to advance equality and justice so every person has opportunities to thrive and to live life with dignity and hope.
The Haas, Jr. Fund has evolved from a locally-focused funder in the Bay Area to one that is recognized at the local, state, and national levels. Today, the Fund is broadening its commitment to helping people achieve their dreams by advancing immigrant rights and LGBT equality, promoting a fair and representative democracy, and ensuring that college is affordable for low-income students and families.
Rooted in the Bay Area, the Haas, Jr. Fund is guided by an enduring set of core values. These values reflect the founders’ vision and shape everything we do.
- Inclusion: We celebrate the rich differences in human identity and embrace the perspectives of all people.
- Respect: We are guided by the wisdom and voices of people and communities working for change.
- Collaboration: We believe in the transformative power of working together to advance a shared vision.
- Courage: We take a stand to make a deep and lasting difference on urgent social issues.
The Haas, Jr. Fund, located in downtown San Francisco, has a full-time staff of about 20 professionals and assets of approximately $400 million. It has awarded over $600 million in grants since its founding. For more information, visit us online at haasjr.org.
About the Position
The Finance and Accounting Associate is a key member of the Fund’s finance team, and must be a well-organized, detail-oriented person, with a desire to gain a broad understanding of finance and accounting in philanthropy. This position requires strong integrity and confidentiality, and a capacity to build good working relationships with all of the diverse team at the Haas, Jr. Fund.
The Finance and Accounting Associate is responsible for processing all of the Fund’s payments; for administering employee benefits and personnel records; for overseeing and reconciling the Fund’s bank accounts, credit cards, fixed assets, and other balance sheet accounts; and for various forecasting and reporting functions including budget vs. actual reports, variance analysis, and cashflow projections. The Finance and Accounting Associate also assists the Controller with the annual budget, audit, and tax filing processes, and works with the Controller and CFO to ensure that the Fund’s financial systems and controls are well-designed, effective, and properly documented, and that the Fund maintains its legal and regulatory compliance.
This position reports to the Controller.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Manage the twice-monthly payroll process, including uploading employee hours, processing all employee status changes, generating payroll reports, and maintaining the payroll manual
- Serve as primary contact for payroll processing service (Paychex), including troubleshooting any issues arising during payroll
- Respond to staff queries regarding timecards, PTO balances, payroll and benefits payments and accounting
- Manage the upload, payment, and recording of all pension contributions
- Assist the Controller with managing the Fund’s pension plans and with payroll and benefits administration, including upgrades to the Fund’s HR and payroll systems
- Manage the contractor file, including review and filing of contracts and W-9s, monitoring of contract spending, and filing of 1099s and DE542s
- Manage the Fund’s accounts payable and grants payable processes, including making payments by check, ACH, and wire via the Fund’s online banking facility
- Maintain the master file of vendor payment details
- Maintain documentation on all payables processes, and design and implement process improvements and payables systems upgrades
- Manage the chart of accounts in QuickBooks
- Reconcile monthly bank statements and collate monthly journal entry files
- Manage the Fund’s fixed asset accounting, including appropriate capitalization of purchased assets, calculation of depreciation, and monitoring and accounting for fixed asset disposals
- File required reports and returns, including sales and use tax and business property tax
- Manage the Fund’s budget reporting software, including uploading expense data from QuickBooks, and providing support and training to staff users
- Produce monthly budget vs. actual reports and variance analysis for management and Board reporting
- Produce regular cashflow projections and manage the cash drawdown cycle so that the Fund always has sufficient liquidity
Assist the Controller with a range of critical tasks, including:
- Designing and implementing appropriate internal controls
- Upgrades to the accounting system, and integration with the Fund’s other systems
- Legal and regulatory compliance
- Business continuity planning and disaster recovery planning
- The annual audit, tax filing, and the annual budget process
Key skills and attributes
- Embraces the Fund’s mission and values, including a deep commitment to advancing rights and creating opportunities for all
- Committed to continuous improvement and technical learning
- Solutions-oriented: takes ownership of tasks through to completion
- Capable of building good working relationships across a diverse team, including awareness of the complexities of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity and orientation
- Be attuned to staff needs, and aspire to help build strong collegial partnerships
- Able to work with confidentiality and to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- BA in Accounting, or comparable work experience relating to accounting and Excel, and a desire to learn more about finance and accounting in philanthropy
- Strong organizational and planning skills, including time management (calendars and scheduling), task management (multi-tasking and prioritizing), and reporting on progress
- Detail-oriented: checks and reviews all work, investigates errors, and works to improve systems for better quality control
- Documentation skills, including organized filing of electronic and paper documents, and ability to produce “how-to” documents and manuals
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Haas, Jr. Fund offers an excellent benefits package including generous medical, dental, and vision plans; paid time off and other paid leave policies; a substantial employer contribution to pension; transit subsidy; and volunteer and matching grant support.
How to Apply
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to email@example.com. Use the subject line: Finance and Accounting Associate. Submit Microsoft Word or PDF files only (one combined PDF file is preferred). Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.